Every year NYC residents throw out approximately 200,000 tons of clothing, towels, blankets, curtains, shoes, handbags, belts, and other textiles and apparel.
In contrast to for-profit re-use clothing companies that supply similar collection bins, refashionNYC is 100% nonprofit and charitable.
- Reusable and Damaged Items Accepted
- Clothing (from women, men & children)
- Shoes, purses, gloves, scarves, hats & belts
- Towels, curtains, bedding & linens
- Clean rags and clothing scraps
Clothing and accessories donated through refashionNYC are sorted out at the Housing Works warehouse in Queens. All proceeds from donations support the charitable mission of Housing Works to end the dual crises of homelessness and AIDS. No donated material is sent to landfills!
How It Works
DSNY will visit your building to discuss how many bins you want, what sizes are best, and where they should be placed. The refashionNYC donation bin is offered in two sizes:
- Small (2’ deep x 4’ wide x 6’ high)
- Large (3.5’ deep x 4’ wide x 6’ high)
When the bin is full, call (212-437-4678) or email (refashionNYC@dsny.nyc.gov) for pickup (guaranteed within five business days).
* Tax receipts (for up to $250) are available on the bin.
Who Is Eligible
- Apartment buildings with over ten units.
- Office buildings
- Commercial businesses (such as fashion industry, storage facilities, gyms, laundromats, and hotels)
- Schools and institutions
How to Enroll & More Info